DHI Malaysia speaks at IMarEST Metocean Awareness Course
DHI Malaysia participated in the IMarEST Metocean Awareness Course, held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 27-29 October 2015.
Expert speakers and delegates from various backgrounds who use or provide meteorology and oceanography (Metocean) data gathered at the 3-day course. Metocean conditions can significantly impact the design and operations of offshore facilities. As a result, it is vital that people who use Metocean information are aware of how the weather, waves, currents and water levels influence their work. Serious health, safety, environmental and economic consequences may come about due to insufficient knowledge of such conditions.
The IMarEST course was a great platform for participants to learn how Metocean conditions might impact the effectiveness of what they do. It provided a greater understanding of Metocean and highlighted how the applications of Metocean information can benefit their organisations, particularly with respect to:
- Improved safety
- Better decision-making and planning
- Reduced costs
Course highlights and learning
- Understanding why Metocean is important to the offshore oil & gas and renewables industries
- Finding out about the Metocean process and how it fits in with other offshore activities
- Exploring the key Metocean services and products
- Learning about the key Metocean parameters, such as significant wave height, and how Metocean data is collected and achieved
- Gaining an understanding of how weather forecasts are produced
- Appreciating the implications of climate variability and data trends
- Learning how Metocean data is analysed to derive operational statistics such as weather downtime and design criteria.
- Becoming capable of engaging internal and external stakeholders about Metocean matters
For further details, please visit IMarEST.
|Participants at the IMarEST Metocean Awareness Course. ©DHI